Friday, August 6, 2010

Follow Up for ADK Classroom

Well It has been a week since we left Camp Hunignton and I have to say that I am still trying to do my part and spread the word! Yesterday evening I visited my mother and her husband. I proceeded to talk about my amazing trip to Raquette lake and how it gave me hope for some type of future this planet could have. I mentioned alternative energy sources such as wind turbines. John, my mothers husband tells me that they could never power a company, and as long as our ENDLESS SUPPLY of CHEAP OIL continues to be the cheapest form of energy will we never NEED or USE other forms. I then got up and added to their computers favorite tab the LONG EMERGENCY article, the video of the STORY OF STUFF, and the youtube video that is alittle over 7mins long showing population growth. I told my mother to please check that stuff out, and that if they disagree or don't believe in any of that information to call up SUNY Cortland and tell them I am wasting my money on a false education. CLEARLY i know they are wrong and I am NOT wasting my money. MY brother tells me to not bother or get upset with them. I can not stop. If anything I want my family on board, but that may never completely happen no matter how hard I try. I try to be a realist.

Anyways I have had discussions with a couple friends about our time in the ADK. I'm pretty sure i'm making big strides with our countries young adults who will pass on the knowledge to many more. As for getting that little block of time to present some basic information to my Track athletes, I will have to wait till school starts. Patrick, my boss has a lot going on from now till then. and plus I want to show him a solid outline so he will be more inclined to make it happen.

My younger cousins are really surprising me, as well. Weds. we had a little family gathering and of course I talked about all the stuff and resources we are wasting. I really like how they seem to be getting the big picture, and I will be continuing to encourage them to see if they will pass it on to their friends.

It seems weird to have been in the ADK and now back for a week. I feel to some people it would be easy to move on and forget those experiences. I hope that is not the case. It is scary how our education is these days, and I really hope those teachers got a lot out of being up there, cause I know I did. It was also nice for me to get their point of view and experiences. There were many heated debates, and I hope everyone was able to walk away from this experience feeling good about it, but also unsatisfied, motivated and determined to work hard and make the changes this country needs. I know that week definitely did that for me. I know I did not agree with everyone, but that is the beauty of it all that everyone is DIFFERENT!

I also walked away from that week with some good friends and acquaintances that I hope will continue on. We need to continue to share information!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment