Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 2!

Alrighty I survived my first night!

Today we went for a hike to the mistress house a good stretch from Camp Hunington. It took about 20-30 minutes walk to get there through the woods and the trail was awesome. As we passed the sauna the woods became thicker and much more interesting in my eyes. When we first started off it was very open, and though the outdoors and woods are universal so to speak, there is nothing like getting in the thickets where it seems truly wild and untouched by humans.
The path was by no means well managed, but I liked it that way. There was the occasionally boards down so not to step in thick mud, but even those were old and some broken. It only made the experience better for me. I do not want that path cleared or made more manageable. It was fun to hop and jump around the uneven terrain while also dogging the mud. It is just so much more exciting and fun!

I enjoyed having Tim's children come as well. Seeing Lacy, his daughter hop up on a giant fallen log and walk to the upper branches reminded of myself and even though I am not a child I still to this day will do the same thing. I was almost slightly jealous that she somewhat beat me to it, and that I now couldn't do the same because then i'd be a little copy cat!! lol.

Walking behind Tim's older son, Luke, he stopped to check out a bug/fly that was making another bug/fly its lunch. This is again, something I still do. I find that it doesn't matter the age, the curiosity remains in me and I am very happy and also fortunate to still have this spark. I say this because I find it rare to see young adults and adults ever stop and observe, like the phrase "stop and smell the roses," like I see Lacy and Luke do, among other children. I know there are many young adults and adults who are still inticed by such things, but my experiences make me believe we are few and far between.

One thing that is bothering me is that I don't know if I am getting what I am suppose to be getting from our discussions. I know it is a very open class to get whatever we can from it, and there is no wrong or right, but I am getting some what confused or unsatisfied. I say this because during our talk about Slades Adirondack Green, we got into the discussion about the deer and fish populations. People might see there is a problem, but they don't see the real problem or the root of the problem, or maybe they do but still don't focus on them directly. I attempted to draw correlations to other issues that are very similar, but I am either not addressing my comments properly or that it simply doesn't matter what situation we use. It may be that the simple fact is people can see a problem but only find solutions that they want or that will benefit them to limit change on those individuals. Meaning that they put a bandaid on the problem instead of getting to the core of the issue. We humans tend to repeat or have similar plan of actions and that us students as educators need to find a way to motivate us in ways so we do what is right. Not what is easier on us, or financially, but what is right ethically and morally that will promote the best long term sustainable solution. I believe before we do anything we should always consider Lepold's quote of when a thing is right, and we should always do what is right. Reality is we don't, and may never be close to adopting this. (Time out... I am hearing Loon calls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Anyways like i've said before I am not perfect and don't always follow Lepold like I am ranting about. It is I believe too hard for one person to attempt, though I may try, it must be on a world wide scale. Ahhhh if I ruled the world!!! I think it is about time for me to stop being so negative and enjoy this/these Loon(s)!!!!!! For who knows how much longer someone will get to experience what I am experiencing now!


As I was blogging there was a sweet boat cruising by playing some trumpet stuff. Very neat. I know we were suppose to blog earlier, but I find @ night, on this porch balcony from our cabins is the greatest time and place for myself to gather my thoughts and express them.

No comments:

Post a Comment